Sunday, March 15, 2015

Khari Baoli , a road running from fatehpuri masjid to the western edge of the old city is where you find a hectic wholesale spice market.a visit is a must to catch a different side of delhi. little has changed over decades. Huge sacks of herbs and spices are trundled to the whole salers on long narrow barrows pushed by labourers, who then sit on their barrows drinking tea and chatting while waiting for their next hire.


I was interested in talking to them,so I went to this tensed looking male. When I tried to start a conversation, he seemed very busy and not interested. I became a little uncomfortable but did not stop talking. I asked him the reason of bieng so tensed. He said that he was having a back pain due to the load of the sacks. I continued asking and said "kitna wazan uthate ho aap ek bar me"?. He said "ki ek baar me 45 kgs se zyada lena padta hai".






Initially I was hesitating to ask him questions but gradually he was okay with me asking him.so i continued by asking him the distance he had to cover for each trip. he said that he had to travel 1 to 2 kms and also added by saying that he got really less wage compared to the amount of work he did but he could not help it because being uneducated he had no other option left. He had to work as a labourer there just to manage his family expenses and was not satisfied at all. He had to go,it was time. he had been waiting there for his next hire.
But from what i saw their main area of concern was that due to heavy weights the were having back pains.This was mainly due to the invariable pressure of the sacks on their backs.this then further detiorates their strength and will also hamper their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment