Sunday, March 8, 2015


CHANDNI CHOWK: A SHOPPER'S PARADISE

Local shopkeepers play an important role in todays society. An area as popular and crowded as chandni chowk is famous mainly because of its sellers. They are so good at what they do because most of the shops are ancestral and are functioning since a very long time.
Chandni chowk is a shopaholic’s paradise.
For habitual shoppers it’s a major attraction. Its located opposite to the red fort.
The market it far from gorgeous looking shops with amazing interiors in posh markets or the conventional air conditioned malls yet its importance can be seen among wholesale retailers.
FURTHERMORE, I interviewed a salesperson who sold and specialized in “Bollywood Replica sarees”. I began my interview by asking him that when did he start this business. He told me that he did not own the shop and that the owner had gone to the workshop as he had some urgent work. He told me to wait for a few minutes as his boss was just on his way back. I then got to know that he wasn’t the owner of the shop. I did as he said, but then I thought of interviewing him. I asked him, since when had he been working at that shop. He told me that he was working there since 3 years, he did not seem very happy about it though. On asking about if the owner did some other business before this, he replied, “no he had started this business some 5 years back when this Bollywood fever had started”. 
I also asked him about their making , so he told me that all the sarees were made and came from Mumbai. All their main workshops were there, but minor alterations could be done in the small workshop that they had in chandni chowk itself.
He himself told me about the first piece that came out and started the business. It was a saree worn by priyanka chopra at an event like about 6 years down the line. I asked him about what did he do to survive before this. He told me that he was a salesman since 9 years and before that he was just a kid who did not do anything but stay at home in bihar.
After sometime, the owner of the shop came and I started to interview him. I asked him about him and his family and their living conditions. He told me that he did not live in a very hygienic place and that his two children were suffering from various diseases one of them being tuberculosis. He told me that he was the owner of the shop and that 12 people worked under him. The age group of people working under him was from 20-77.  According to him most of sale occurred during the festive season. I asked him about what time did he open and close his shop. He told me that there was no particular timing but he opened it around12 in the afternoon and closed it around 7 in the evening. He told me that he did not have any other outlets on being asked about it.
All in all I would say that it was a really good experience to interview some people on my own. I can confidently say that it really did help me in my communication skills, and made me a better speaker.
In the end I would really like to give some tips for going to chandni chowk:
1. Pay special attention to your pockets
2. Beware of touts and duplicate products
3. DON’T FORGET TO BARGAIN. If other markets are offering you something at a price of 500, you would get the same stuff here at flat fifty percent rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment